SAN DIEGO MILITARY ADVISORY COUNCIL REQUEST FOR APPLICATIONS | ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
The San Diego Military Advisory Council (SDMAC) and its Foundation, a 501(c)3, are looking for a talented, organized, and well-connected Administrative Assistant to support its objectives to increase membership, drive revenue, and remain relevant. The ideal candidate will have 5+ years of experience in a related field, including 2+ years of experience using office management software such as QuickBooks, iContact, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Positive attitude, friendly personality, ability to multi-task, and strong communication skills are a must.
The San Diego Military Advisory Council (SDMAC) was founded in 2004 as a 501(c)6 non-profit organization with a mission to support, promote, and represent the mutual business and other interests of the military, their quality of life, and the defense community in the San Diego area. Since then, SDMAC has become increasingly prominent in advancing the partnership and communication between the military, elected and appointed officials, and the business community while simultaneously working to enhance recognition of the military's many economic and social contributions to the San Diego area.
As issues develop where military, commercial, and political interests intersect, SDMAC will continue to be a champion for better communication, cooperation, partnership, and resolution in the San Diego region. SDMAC has been in the forefront of recent and current issues in the San Diego community such as Base Realignment and Closure, Regional Airport Site Selection, and Tenth Avenue Marine Terminal Mixed Use to name just a few.
Our signature event is the SDMAC monthly breakfast which takes place on the third Wednesday of every month and features prominent speakers, civilian and military, from the Department of Defense, the Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard. This provides, not only the opportunity to hear firsthand from the knowledgeable leadership, but also an opportunity to meet and network with 300+ military and civilian business leaders of the local community. The SDMAC website is www.sdmac.org .
ABOUT THE SDMAC FOUNDATION
SDMAC announced the formation of its charitable non-profit organization, the SDMAC Foundation, in January of 2016. The newly-created 501(c)3 supports San Diego’s active duty and retired military community through program initiatives, educational outreach, and events funded by tax-deductible donations received by the organization.
A signature program of the new foundation is the continuation of the “San Diego Military Advisory Council/San Diego State University Military Student of the Year” academic scholarship that was started in celebration of SDMAC’s 10th anniversary in 2014. The first scholarship was awarded in September 2016. SDMAC Foundation’s website is www.sdmacfoundation.org .
INVITATION TO APPLY
Interested parties are invited to apply for the Administrative Assistant position as outlined in this document.
PURPOSE OF ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
The Administrative Assistant is responsible for supporting, planning, coordinating, and implementing all SDMAC and SDMAC Foundation activities in accordance with the provisions set forth by the SDMAC Board of Directors and SDMAC Foundation Board of Directors. Reporting to the Executive Director, key responsibilities include the following:
- Manage daily operations of SDMAC office.
- Organize and execute registration for the monthly breakfast meeting and other social events hosted by SDMAC and/or SDMAC Foundation.
- Maintain financials including payroll using QuickBooks.
- Assist Executive Director in day-to-day functions.
- Communicate with Corporate and Individual Members via telephone, email, e-blast, face-to-face, etc.
- Prepare materials for Board Meetings.
- Assist Program Manager with announcements, press releases, and administrative tasks related to the Office of Economic Adjustment (OEA) Grant.
Manage SDMAC Office
A key responsibility of the Administrative Assistant will be to manage the day-to-day functions of the SDMAC office. Tasks include, but are not limited to, maintaining office space, ordering office supplies, maintaining office machinery (printers, fax, telephones), preparing reports for monthly committee meetings, and updating the SDMAC Handbook, procedures, brochures, flyers, etc. The Administrative Assistant will also act as the liaison to building management.
An additional key responsibility of the SDMAC Administrative Assistant will be organize and execute monthly breakfast meetings and other social events. The Administrative Assistant will create nametags, registration lists, assigned seating charts, and table signs, coordinate with venue and caterers, accept payment and troubleshoot guest concerns, run audio-visual presentations for speakers, and supervise part-time assistants.
Maintain SDMAC Finances
The SDMAC Administrative Assistant will be tasked with tracking finances for the SDMAC office using QuickBooks. Duties include, but are not limited to, accessing and reconciling bank statements and transactions, tracking day-to-day income and expenses, creating invoices, processing credit card payment, issuing payroll including state and federal taxes, and making bank deposits when needed. The Administrative Assistant will also prepare and process reports for the Executive Director, SDMAC Treasurer, Board of Directors, and reimbursement for Executive Director, SDMAC Officers, and other office staff.
In addition to the responsibilities outlined above, the SDMAC Administrative Assistant will perform a wide range of duties to include the following:
- Track Corporate and Individual Memberships both new and recurring
- Maintain SDMAC and SDMAC Foundation membership and distribution files
- Report results and revenue to the Executive Director on a regular basis and provide recommended changes to enhance programs
- Ensure financial reports and supporting documentation for sponsors, donors, and members are prepared and delivered as outlined in agreements
- Answer phones, emails, and host in-office visitors
- Set-up Audio-Visual for presentations including Board of Directors meetings, monthly breakfasts, office meetings, and other social gatherings
- Purchase refreshments for Board of Directors meetings
- Execute administrative tasks for SDMAC Foundation
- Associate’s Degree or 5 years of experience as administrative assistant, office management, or related field
- Minimum of 2 years of experience using office management software (QuickBooks, iContact, Microsoft Office Suite) including 1 year of agency experience
- Understanding of military and defense in San Diego including branches of service, ranks and rates, and various installations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills with demonstrated ability to execute projects on time
- Ability to multi-task and make decisions, including assessing situations and determining importance, urgency, and risks, and to make clear decisions in the best interests of SDMAC and its Foundation in a timely manner
- A client-focused disposition, with the ability to anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external stakeholders to meet or exceed their expectations according to SDMAC organizational parameters
- Excellent problem-solving skills including demonstrated ability to assess problem situations and identify causes
- Ability to work independently
- Demonstrated ability to work in a small team setting
- Strong computer skills; proficiency in MS Office applications
- The Administrative Assistant will typically work in an office environment but the business requirements of SDMAC and its Foundation may take you to non-standard workplaces.
- The Administrative Assistant will typically work a standard 40-hour work week but may be required to work some evenings and weekends depending upon business activities.
- Full-time position starting immediately.
- $40 - 45k annually.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email a resume and cover letter that describe in detail the applicant’s experience and expertise for the position to Randy Bogle, Executive Director of SDMAC: email@example.com . . Deadline to apply is 5:00 PM, 18 April 2018.