SDMAC Foundation Military Veteran Student of the Year Academic Scholarships Announced
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 22, 2019
Contact: Michelle Ragsdale
(858) 242-9716 | email@example.com
Recipients of San Diego Military Advisory Council Foundation Military Veteran Student of the Year Academic Scholarships Announced
Scholarships support Veterans earning Science, Technology, Engineering, & Mathematics degrees from San Diego State University and California State University San Marcos
SAN DIEGO, CA, October 22, 2019 – The San Diego Military Advisory Council (SDMAC) Foundation, a non-profit organization that supports the active-duty and retired military communities through program initiatives funded by tax-deductible donations, today announced the recipients of the 2019 - 2020 SDMAC Military Veteran Student of the Year Academic Scholarships. Totaling $35,000.00, the scholarships will help nine military Veterans to earn degrees in Science, Technology, Engineering, & Mathematics (STEM) fields from San Diego State University (SDSU) and California State University San Marcos (CSUSM).
“SDMAC Foundation is honored to continue awarding academic scholarships to deserving military Veterans in our community,” said Pete Hedley, President of SDMAC Foundation. “Many of today’s STEM degrees require five years to complete and many GI Bill benefits expire before the fifth year of college is completed. Thanks to the generous support of our donors, our scholarship aims to bridge this gap by helping military Veterans to complete degrees without incurring significant additional debt.”
“CSUSM is extremely proud of our distinguished Veterans for receiving the SDMAC Military Veteran Student of the Year Academic scholarships,” said Anthony Jackson, Board Chair of the CSUSM Foundation. “We look forward to seeing them graduate and pursue impactful careers in the STEM arenas.”
“Serving in the Marine Corps taught me the importance of serving my community after my military career,” said Jeff Foertsch, a United States Marine Corps Veteran and scholarship recipient at CSUSM. “The SDMAC Military Veteran Student of the Year Academic Scholarship supports this by helping me to complete my degree without incurring significant debt and gives me the freedom to also contribute to society through charity work.”
“We are honored to award SDMAC Military Veteran Student of the Year Academic Scholarships to students at our institution for a fourth consecutive year,” said Todd Kennedy, Interim Director, Military and Veterans Program at San Diego State University.
“This scholarship is another way in which our program is able to partner with great community supporters like SDMAC to have a positive impact on the lives of Veterans and military-connected students in our community.”
The following are biographies of many recipients of the 2019 - 2020 SDMAC Military Veteran Student of the Year Academic Scholarships. Click here to visit the SDMAC Foundation website for more information.
- Rigoberto Gerardo served in the United States Navy as a deck seaman. He is currently pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in Social Science at SDSU and plans to pursue a Master’s Degree in social work in the future. After achieving his educational goals, Mr. Gerardo plans on a career working with military Veterans in the capacity of a social worker. In his free time, Mr. Gerardo volunteers with many local military Veterans organizations such as the United Veterans Council of Imperial Valley. Through his volunteer work, Mr. Gerardo helps to plan traditional military ceremonies and events to honor the service, sacrifice, and contributions that Veterans make to the San Diego community.
- Jason Burley served in the United States Marine Corps as a Geospatial Intelligence Specialist. He is currently pursuing a Bachelor of Science Degree in biochemistry with a minor in Spanish at CSUSM. Mr. Burley volunteers as a patient escort at Tri-City Medical Center and with the disaster relief organization Team Rubicon. After completing his degree, he plans to continue his education by pursing a graduate degree to become a Physician Assistant.
- David Falconer served in the United States Marine Corps as an Aviation Logistics Information Management System and Support Specialist. He is currently pursuing a Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Information Systems from CSUSM while currently employed by ViaSat. After completing his degree, Mr. Falconer plans to start his own web marketing and real estate investment business.
- Michael Tobin served in the United States Marine Corps as Aviation Ordinance specialist. He is currently pursuing a Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Information Systems from CSUSM. Mr. Tobin currently works at CSUSM in Enrollment Management Services and plans to pursue a career within his degree field.
- Jeff Foertsch served in the United States Marine Corps as an Air Traffic Control Radar Technician. He is currently pursuing a Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Information Systems at CSUSM. After completing his degree, Mr. Foertsch plans on a career in Analytics and Business Development. An avid distance hiker and trail runner, Mr. Foertsch enjoys donating his time to supporting charities and nonprofits through his physical abilities.
Candidates for the SDMAC Military Veteran Student of the Year Scholarship must meet the following criteria to be considered:
- Recent military Veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces
- Honorably separated
- Rank of E1 through E9
- Enrolled as a full-time student
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above
- Seeking a degree in the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) fields (preferred)
Click here for more information about the SDMAC Military Veteran Student of the Year academic scholarship at SDSU.
For more information about the SDMAC Military Veteran Student of the Year academic scholarship at CSUSM, contact Shin Ae Kook firstname.lastname@example.org.
About SDMAC Foundation
The SDMAC Foundation is a 501(c)3 organization that was founded in 2016 to enable San Diego’s leading non-profit military organization to further promote general awareness and understanding of the importance of a strong national defense in the region. The SDMAC Foundation supports San Diego’s active-duty and retired military community through program initiatives, educational outreach, and events funded by tax-deductible donations received by the organization. A signature program of the SDMAC Foundation is the continuation of the “San Diego Military Advisory Council/SDSU Military Student of the Year” academic scholarship that started in celebration of SDMAC’s 10th anniversary in 2014. The inaugural SDMAC Military Veteran Student of the Year scholarship in 2016, followed by a second scholarship in 2017. For more information and to make a tax-deductible donation to the SDMAC Foundation, visit https://www.sdmac.org/foundation/.